Thursday, April 13, 2017

Missing! 5 Characters that need to return to the game

I’ve played through a few editions. My Grey Knights have had 3 whole shake ups at this point.

Through those editions I’ve seen quite few things disappear. And nothing gets more annoying than when characters get removed. Especially when several editions ago, army wide special rules were tied to special character rules and whole lists became unusable overnight because people up and left for places unknown.

These are a few of the ones I noticed that I really think should come back.


1. Mordrak

I want you to meet my Mordrak.


Cool guy, right? He’s got a cool hammer and he’s in a badass Space-Knight get up. The reason he has a shield is because when I made and painted this model, a Grandmaster could take one.

Unfortunately for him he didn’t have an official GW model, because the only thing left of him rules wise is a single Warlord trait. Just to twist the knife deeper GW went and made a new Grey Knight character model, WITH a hammer, just not Mordrak.

Don’t get me wrong, Voldus seems like a cool dude. His fluff boils down to him being an executive assistant that ended up getting promoted to be CEO because his boss was vaporized trying to go Emperor Palpatine on someone. 

Hilarious

But he’s not, “My imaginary friends can beat up your imaginary friends, because my imaginary friends are a unit of terminators” Mordrak,  esquire the 3rd,  cool.


2. Vect, Duke, Baron, Mayls, and/or Kheradruakh

So, Dark Eldar players thought it was bad when they lost Kruellagh the Vile. Read that slowly in french and drop the “e.”


The latest Codex update straight up Game of Thrones’d their characters. Five characters overnight disappeared, with absolutely no replacement. They also were all unique characters that all did something unique for Dark Eldar armies. Vect being removed was equivalent to someone saying “Hey we don’t need this Calgar Guy around anymore”.

What’s really funny is that Y’Raine is pretty much what Malys should have looked like. When I heard that model wasn’t going to be her I assumed Y’Raine had shanked Mayls in the night, and stole all her stuff.

At least Kheradruakh has been making head way in the fluff. For those who don't know he made a appearance in Gathering Storm One. He finally managed to finish his special room during the onset of the Commorragh Daemonic Incursion, and flipped a face down that unleashed the Shadow realm killing all the Daemons.


3. Sly Marbo

Personally, fuck this guy and I hate him. But I must admit he is one sly sneaky cool bastard Guard should have back.

He was an auto-take scourge back in 5th, jumping out of nowhere and throwing a demolition charge. And on more than one occasion I saw him kill himself. And he was totally not Sylvester Stallone or Rambo. 

My friend had made a custom model throwing a Greater Barking Toad. For reasons why, you can find out Here.

But summarized, the Greater and Lesser Catachan Barking Toads spontaneously combust when startled, typically killing everything within a one kilometer radius, including the toad itself.

Thou Shall Know Some Fear

4. Valeria

Helynna Valeria was weird one. She is an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor that was bundled into the 5th edition Grey Knights codex. She too didn’t have a model, so she got axed when Inquisition was broken out.

She was kind of like Batman in having a bunch of weird wargear, including a Pokeball that Trayzn the Infinite gave her after she accidentally wandered onto one of his planets and then managed to escape with heavy casualties. It was a gift accompanying this letter.

"Dear Lady, let me express my fulsome appreciation for your most generous gift. It is so very rare to discover another of my own kind that appreciates my work, therefore to find understanding amongst a member of another race is nothing short of a revelation. I realise that you briefly trod my galleries, but the fact that you spotted in so short a time that my Acabrius War collection was lacking three regiments of Catachan warriors reveals that you truly have a collector's eye for detail. And to send five regiments! Such generosity will allow me to weed out and replace a few of the more substandard pieces in my collection. If I might level a minor criticism, the instructions issued to your gift were manifestly not as clear as you thought, as most of them had to be forcibly restrained -- sadly it seems that the lower orders will always behave like an army of invasion, whether that be their purpose or not. However, this is a minor complaint and seems almost churlish under the circumstances, so please allow me to repay your gift with one of my own. Accompanying this message is the Hyperstone Maze, one of a series of Tesseract Labyrinths constructed at the height of the Charnovokh Dynasty. It is a trinket really, only of interest to scholars such as you and I, but I trust you will find it amusing -- assuming you have the wit to escape its clutches, of course."
— Hyperscroll message from Trazyn the Infinite, addressed to Inquisitor Valeria, c. 805.M41


The reason she should come back is that currently Inquisition has a at least one for the other two Inq factions. With out someone like her, Xenos is literally just represented by a grenade caddy, That jackass that stole all my GK Techmarines grenades right off his belt.

(Ed- They also killed her off.... so yeah...)
(Author- They Maybe killed her off............)


5. Nightbringer/Deceiver

Shards don’t count. I want the real things back. GIANT SUN EATING MONSTERS SMOOSHED INTO ROBO TUXEDOS.

These would be a great FW lord of war candidates for Necrons. Mostly just the older models, just much bigger. Maybe while they’re at it a Giant Robot Dragon and Something in a big hamster ball, for the Void Dragon and Outsider.



(EDITOR- Gothmog- BONUS!!!)
6. Moriar the Chosen

To prove this is still a blog with its roots firmly in Blood Angels, I can't let this list slip by without mentioning Moriar the Chosed- THE Death Company Dreadnought!

Sure we have Cassor these days, and that guy is a BEAST, but why did they have to make him? Heck, they could have left everything the same and named him Moriar instead. Would that have been hard? It is like the Voldus/Mordrak thing above. GW took away something cool, and then to rub salt in the wound, when they finally made another DC dreadnought character, they made it someone else? Why?


Now I could go on and and on with more characters (Veteran Sergeant Cluetin, Ibram Guant, Col. Schaeffer, Mogul Kamir, DOOMRIDER... maybe a list by me for another day)