Thursday, February 26, 2015

Ravenwing Black Knights and Librarian - Schlemazal

I've been gone for a while due to a lack of time for hobby work, but I've decided it's about time I got through my backlog of Dark Angels. With that in mind, over the next few months I should be posting here more often as I battle through painting far too many green marines. To get things started, I did a squad of Ravenwing Black Knights and an accompanying librarian, which I thought I'd share here.

I did a lot of experimenting at the beginning to find a set of paint mixes I could use to shade/highlight black, and I'm happy with how it turned out. The bases are 'Urban Streets' bases from Secret Weapon Miniatures. I added ice using crackle paint followed by some snow patches using baking soda mixed with white paint and glue (my first attempt at this technique, I like how it came out).

Along with the squad, I also painted up a Ravenwing librarian. The model is mostly made of pieces from the Black Knights sprues, with a few pieces from the Dark Angels command squad set (torso front, book). The bolters were taken from a standard space marine bike and carved down to fit, and I sculpted the psychic hood from green stuff. I also free-handed a ram skull Librarius icon on the shoulderpad.

Anyway, here are some more pictures of models from the squad. Enjoy!